Friday, November 20, 2009

Waffles


My poor Schwan's man. Every time I hit on something new that works, I drop yet another product from my order. Good for me, but at some point he is going to start taking it personal... One package of waffles is $5.39 and I make that last for 2 weeks by only allowing each kid to have 2 at breakfast, one time a week. I felt like I was sending kids to school hungry, and it killed me to pull the box out, knowing that I could make better ones. I have now made 5 batches of waffles for pennies, and can't believe I didn't start sooner. This morning, I made a batch of whole wheat, two batches of kamut, and one batch with unbleached white flour. The kamut were my favorite.

Belgian waffles

1 3/4 c flour (white, wheat, kamut, oat or a combination of any)
2 T sucanant
1 T baking powder
1 3/4 c milk
1/4 c olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well, combine wet ingredients in a large measuring cup. If you add the eggs last, you can combine and measure all at once, less dishes... Whisk the wet into the dry just until combined, there will be lumps and let it set. This is an important step for me, because I grind my own flour, the grain needs a few minutes to absorb some of the liquid. If I was smart, I would soak them the night before....
Preheat your waffle iron (gotten on sale with coupon at Kohls for $18) and pour 2/3 cup batter (or whatever yours takes) on and cook. We top ours with our neighbors syrup that I buy by the gallon in the spring, or whipped cream and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment